BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Sophomore Year

“The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson (Tom Bodett).”

My sophomore year has been an experience in the making. I felt like this year I've grown up so much. This year I finally realized that I’m going to be an adult soon. It was time to start breaking my stupid, childish habits and to start making responsible decisions. For a while, I’ve been dragging my feet and started to get in a lazy habit. I realized at the beginning of sophomore year that in a few short three years I’m going to be in college. That means that I need to work my but off so that I can get into any college of my dreams.

“Dreams are like stars...you may never touch them, but if you follow them they will lead you to your destiny (Unknown).”

This year I finally found my calling, the health field. To be more specific my goals are to become a Physician Assistant. So this year, whenever an opportunity presented itself to further help me down the road, I grabbed that opportunity and ran with it. I know that sometimes people are too young to know what to do for the rest of their lives, but I say they’re wrong. If you can dream it, you can achieve it. No matter how dorky that sounds. From the quote above I’ve learned this year that dreams can sometimes so far away they seem impossible. I think that if you can take the right steps that you’re dream can be a long, bumpy road away.

I use to think that teachers didn’t know what they were talking about and that there’s no point of tests. I mean seriously how is knowing the radius of a circle going to help me in my future? I think I finally realized that they just teach me and it’s up to me to figure out how I am going to use it in my life. This year I’ve learned patience and I’ve realized that while I’m on my way to my dreams that it won’t hurt me hearing about net ionic compounds in Chemistry.
I can finally see the little picture and the big picture. I can see so much more now that I’ve learned to see outside the small picture I stand in and the big picture I’m walking in to. With the help and support of family and great friends I can achieve anything. The path is bumpy, long, with obstacles in the way but that’s okay. I’ve learned this year that the people in your life don’t get in your way; they’re only trying to help you. I’ve also learned about karma and positive energy. So if my friends and family can help me on my journey there’s no reason that I can’t help them willingly. In the end I feel rewarded just by their presence and their joy that comes from me helping.

This year I’ve not only learned about myself, I’ve also learned about my family. The difficulties it took for them to get here and the work and struggles it took to stay here. When I hear about all of their hardships, and what they’ve suffered, I became aware that my problems were tiny compare to everyone else. It made me realize that just because I’m tired from staying up, I should be grateful that I had somewhere to sleep.

This is a year I’ll never forget. The reason why is because the most important thing I've learned is to become the better person I know I am. I’ve opened myself up to the world and now it’s time to start embracing it. I may be tired and hungry from getting up so early, but that feeling is great. It’s just a little sacrifice I have to make to get to my dreams. I feel with my heart and soul that I’m on the right path. Whether I’ll end up there is up to me. I don’t know where I’m going but I’ve learned from my path that at anytime I can change it.

0 comments: